Your Guide to Roof Storm Damage in Northern Virginia
The occasional bad weather event is unavoidable. And though some storms can be mild, other inclement conditions may cause significant damage to your home or business. It’s important to remember that storm damage to roof systems is relatively common and can happen to anyone. What sets a responsible home- or business-owner apart, however, is knowing a bit about how to handle roof storm damage.
Suppose you know how to identify various types of storm damage to your roof. You’ll be able to address problems before a roofing issue gets worse.
In this guide, we’ll discuss common types of roof storm damage, how to identify them after a weather disturbance, and how to request roof repair for the destruction. Keep reading to learn more or reach out to us to request a roofing inspection.
Is Storm Damage to Roof Systems Always a Big Deal?
Roof storm damage can range in severity from mild to severe in Northern Virginia. Depending on the severity of the weather event, the harm might be minimal or comprehensive.
After a big gale and downpour, your best bet is to request an inspection from experts. During this examination, contractors will check over all the essential components of your roofing system.
If the damage is minor, roofing repairs can get the cover of your structure back in good condition. For more extensive damage, though, a roof replacement might be necessary.
Kinds of Weather That Cause Damage in Northern Virginia
Nearly any kind of extreme weather can injure your roof. Some of the most common types of weather to look out for in Northern Virginia include:
- Wind damage: Damage from high winds can rip off shingles and tiles or cause branches and other debris to land on your roof.
- Hail damage: Hail can be destructive. If the hailstorm is sufficiently large and powerful, it can dent or crack elements on your roof.
- Snow or rain damage: Accumulation of rain or snow can lead to clogged gutters or water leaks that penetrate the building.
- Ice damage: When ice builds up, it can fall off and break roofing materials. Also, if you don’t have enough insulation, ice can freeze and thaw in a cycle that creates ice dams.
Now that you know the kinds of weather that often lead to roofing damage, the next step is to explore the specific types of roof storm damage to inspect and assess.
When storms cause roof damage, most homeowners look for a local contractor for repairs. But is the contractor qualified to do the work needed? Does the contractor know what to look for in the damage? A certified contractor like Elevated has the training and expertise you need to simplify the storm damage repair process.
Signs of Storm Damage to a Roof
Though we mentioned this briefly above, it’s helpful to go into further detail about the kinds of roofing damage storms can cause. After any storm, we recommend looking up at your roof and doing visual inspections to check for these issues.
If it’s safe, you might also climb a ladder for a closer look. However, the safest and most thorough way to assess for storm damage is to request an inspection from Elevated Contracting.
When you do your own visual inspection, these are the types of roof storm damage to look for:
- Missing shingles and tiles: If you have any shingle or tile roofing, such as asphalt or ceramic, always look for missing elements after a storm; this is the most obvious sign of a wind-damaged roof. If only a few are missing, they would probably be easy to replace, but more extensive missing parts may require roof replacement.
- Broken, cracked, or curled shingles and tiles: Missing shingles and tiles might be more obvious, but damaged shingles and tiles can also be cause for concern. Make sure you get these fixed as soon as possible.
- Clogged, broken, or leaking gutters: Your rain gutters are vital to ensure water can drain properly. You want to check that your gutters are functioning correctly. Verify that storm debris doesn’t clog the gutters. Also, check that the downspouts are working correctly.
- Water damage and leaks: Generally, you’ll want a roofing inspector to assess for any signs of water damage because this threat can be difficult to spot at first. However, you can check inside your building for signs of leaks.
- Damaged chimneys: Study the other elements on your roof, such as the chimney and eaves, to note whether they are in good condition after a storm.
If you spot any of the signs of roofing damage cited above, you should call a roofing company immediately. Minor damage might not seem like a big deal, but it could worsen with time. The best way to reduce the risk of safety problems or expensive repairs is to fix storm damage right away.
Storm Damage Repairs Versus Storm Damage Replacements
If you’re not sure whether you need roof repair services or a new roof after a big storm, Elevated Contracting can help. We start by informing you on how extensive the damage is with a straightforward roof inspection. Once you understand the scope of the issues, you can make an informed decision about whether to repair or replace.
For example, a roof replacement makes more sense if more than a third of the tiles or shingles are broken or missing. The age and materials of the roofing system are also significant factors. If the roof is older, it might make more sense to replace it now, especially if you’re likely to have to do it in a couple of years.
When Does Insurance Cover Storm Damage?
As you’re navigating the storm damage repair process, it’s crucial to understand when your insurance company should cover the repairs, so you can determine whether or not to file a claim. However, every roof’s situation is unique, and policies vary. Partnering with a roofing contractor in Northern Virginia that specializes in navigating the insurance roof claims process ensures you minimize out-of-pocket expenses without needlessly increasing premiums.
With more than a decade of experience submitting roof damage claims with our advanced data-tracking technology, we specialize in helping homeowners throughout Northern Virginia streamline their insurance claims. By using cutting-edge software, we can accurately identify when storms hit any area near Northern Virginia for accurate reimbursement. 95% of customer claims go on to be accepted by insurers—a result of working with the adjuster, building precise reports, and keeping you updated with expert insights.
Request Roof Storm Damage Repair From Northern Virginia’s Roofing Experts
Whether you noticed a few shingles missing or you need a new roof after hail damage, Elevated Contracting is ready to assist you with quality, affordable storm damage repair services.
Our experienced contractors will assess your roof thoroughly to evaluate its condition and locate any possible devastation. From there, we’ll recommend a course of action to fix the harm and get your roof back in excellent condition.
Don’t let storm damage ruin your roof or put your home at risk! Contact us today to get started with this process or request a quote.